Book ListEssential Books for Civil Services Exam Preparation GS Paper 1: History and Art & Culture
- NCERT book for class XI, Medieval India by Satish Chandra (Old Book).
- NCERT book for class XII, Contemporary World History by Arjun Dev (Old Book).
- NCERT book for class XII, Modern India by Bipin Chandra (Old Book).
- NCERT art and culture (11th and 12th).
- History of Modern India by Bipin Chandra.
- India’s Struggle of independence – Bipin Chandra.
- A Brief History of Modern India – Spectrum Publications.
- Indian Culture Chapter of India Year Book.
- India after independence: Bipin Chandra
- India after Gandhi: Ramchandra Guha
Geography (Indian And World Geography)
- Orient Longman Atlas
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong
- Geography (12th) – D. R. Khullar
- NCERT -12th – Social Change and Development In India.
- Social Problems in India by Ram Ahuja.
- Modernisation of Indian Traditions by Yogendra singh.
- IGNOU –ESO -16: Social Problems In India.
- Indian Society & Culture – Nadeem Hasnain.
GS Paper II: Polity
- Introduction to the Constitution of India: D D Basu
- 12th NCERT – Politics in India after Independence
- Constitution of India by P.M. Bakshi
- IGNOU: MPS-003 India: Democracy and Development (Selected Chapters)
- Political Science by N D Arora (Selected Chapters)
- 2nd Administrative reforms Commission Reports (Selected Topics)
- 11th NCERT: Indian Constitution at Work
Governance And Social Justice
- Twelfth Five Year Plan 2012-17 Documents (Planning Commission)
- India Year Book
- Economics Survey
- Economic and Political Weekly (weekly magazine)
- Kurukshetra (Monthly Magazine)
- PIB : pib.nic.in
- Pax Indica: India and the World of the Twenty-First Century by Shashi Tharoor
- Challenges and Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy by Rajiv Sikri
- IGNOU -EPS-07 International Relations and MPS-001 India and the World
- IGNOU -MPS-002 International Relations: Theory and Problems
- Ministry of External Affairs website
- India’s Foreign Policy: Retrospect and Prospect by Sumit Ganguly
Gs Paper III: Economics
- Economic Survey of India
- Report: Twelfth Five Year Plan 2012-17 Documents ( Planning Commission)
- The Penguin Dictionary of Economics
- India Year Book
- Indian Economy by VK Puri, Mishra
- Indian Economy Since Independence – Uma Kapila
- India’s Tryst with Destiny: Debunking Myths that Undermine Progress and Addressing New Challenges by Arvind Panagariya and Jagdish Bhagwati.
- India and its Contradictions by Drèze, J. and Sen
- 2nd ARC Report (Strengthening Financial Management Systems)
- NCERT Class 12: Political Science: Contemporary World Politics ( Chapter : Security in the Contemporary World ).
- Ministry of Home Affairs: mha.nic.in
- Annual Reports of Ministry of Home Affairs
- India year Book
- 2nd ARC REPORT (Public Order, Capacity Building for Conflict Resolution, Combating Terrorism )
Bio Diversity & Environment
- Ecology & Environment ( India Year Book)
- Ecology and Environment – P D Sharma
Diaster And Disaster Management
- NDMA website: http://www.ndma.gov.in/en/
Science & Technology
- Science Reporter magazine
- Ministry of Science Technology Website
- BBC Website
GS Paper IV
- 2nd ARC REPORT (Ethics in Governance , Refurbishing of Personnel Administration )
- IGNOU : MPA-011 ( Ch : Ethical Concerns in Public Administration)
- The Difficulty of Being Good by Gurcharan Das
- 2nd ARC REPORT (Right to Information,, Citizen Centric Administration )
- Ethics Integrity and Aptitude by Arihant Publications (Manual – GS4)
- Lexicon by chronicle publications
- Understanding Ethics by Noel Preston
- Social Psychology by Baron
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
- The Idea of Justice by Amartya Sen
- Ethics and Integrity in Public Administration: Concepts and Cases by Raymond W. Cox
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude for Civil Services Main Examination by Subba Rao
General Sources And Newspapers
- The Indian Express
- India Year Book
- Budget Document (latest)
- Economic Survey(Latest)
- Manorma year book
- PIB: http://www.pib.nic.in
- Economic & Political Weekly